Sunday, November 18, 2007

Back in the Saddle


("Not only will you be hiring a hard working, loyal, creative employee, you will also be getting a pretty fair amateur photographer". Note card sent to persuade him to hire me!)

I start a new job tomorrow and I am excited. After six months of farting around I am ready to get back to it! I was unable to resume my career with the Beverage company, as there are just no available positions I was willing to apply for. My husband kept asking me, "When are you going to get a J-O-B!??" And I would answer, "When I am good and ready!"

About two weeks ago my good Gal-Pal and I went out to an Antique Mall housed in a three story old High School in the Buechel area. It was as if I walked into store heaven where I wanted everything! I found the funkiest coffee table and two end tables with marble bottoms and golden cherubs holding the glass tops! I found a wooden table, the hand painted top protected by heavy glass, which was created at the St. James Court Art Fair. It was to die for! The best part of the Derby City Antique Mall is that their things are moderately priced!

It was a moment for me. I, who could care less about her surroundings as long as there is a garden out back, and a nice kitchen with a working stove, suddenly has been bitten by the bug.

I had to get a job to support my new habit.

I picked up the local newspaper, here-by renamed by me the Evening Star, flipped to the want ads and there it was.

I knew it was going to be there. "Advertising Executive needed for sales". I ripped off a resume, had to put it into a hand writen envelope because I can not figure out how to work my printer with addresses, mailed it immediately and then waited. He called, we set an appointment for Tuesday, I was offered the job on Wednesday and I start tomorrow.

At 8:30 am. I am doing the dance of joy. I believe I have died and gone to heaven!!! I am giddy with my luck. Since I have been forced to be at work by 7am(and sometimes earlier, like 6am!) for almost 10 years!! The next thing I will find out is that I am paid every other week. I might faint! I, who for almost 10 years was paid once a month!!

Anyway, I'm excited and looking forward to this new beginning and meeting a bunch of new people and face new challenges.

Oh yea, have a pay check again.

That beveled glass with delicate wood work china cabinet is calling to me.

6 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

Mary, only YOU could be so excited at the prospect of starting a new job.

And only YOU could be hired by the first place you applied.

Speaking for many of us out here in j-land, you suck. :P

(Only kidding. Congratulations! Here's me raising a glass to your success...)

Becky said...

Yeah baby! Gotta have funds to feed that shopping jones. Congrats on the new gig!

Silvia said...

Congratulations on your new job!!

Chris said...

Hope you enjoyed the new job this week!!!

AC said...

Congratulations! I want to hear those same words SOON from my daughter...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You sound so excited you almost ... ALMOST have me thinking I should look for a job. But, damn that sounds like to much w-o-r-k. I'll just keep pushing the photography.

I wish you the very best!

Monica