Tuesday, May 01, 2012

No News is Good News

 I am blogging like no one is reading!

I don't understand Facebook. One day I have X amount of friends and the next day I am down three! I immediately begin to wonder who and why would someone befriend me. I know that I am the only person in the world who looks at their friend meter. It took me a long time to accumulate as many as I have, a life time actually.


I have discovered with the new Facebook ME page your cancelled friends are at the bottom of the page thereby filling my "got to know" need.


I can sigh in relief that I have not inadvertently pissed someone off.


So I go off to read the paper in my newly acquired peace of mind and turn, as always, to the obits. I begin my reading at this page because it is what I have done for the past 25 years. I live in a city where I know few people so it is not a matter of my looking for my old cronies who may have kicked the bucket. No, I am interested in people MY AGE and close to it, who have kicked the bucket and the why's and how's and where's that for some reason I take considerable interest.


After I finished satisfying my morbid curiosity I returned to Facebook and began to click on "my friends" who I have not seen on my "feed" page as of late.


I clicked on Micah True, who really is not a true friend  in the literal sense, but a wonderful character who's exploits and bravery and love of running was highlighted in the book, "Born to Run".


Micah was dead, went for a run at the end of March and did not return. They searched for four days before finding him laying in a stream that ran close to one of the paths he loved to run in New Mexico.


Though Micah and I never met, I know everything about him that he wanted me to know. His struggles and his triumphs. He is inspiring and admirable and I will miss him. I am one of thousands and thousands who will miss him.


I think of the Jim Dickinson epitaph, "I'm just dead, I'm not gone."

 

3 comments:

Barking Dog Collars said...

I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty blog with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! all the best!

Lori said...

How tragic! Sorry for your loss. Even a virtual-life loss is a loss. You know, I didn't have any idea that we could see who had defriended us on FB. Had no idea.

Nelle said...

I also had no idea that we could see who unfriended us. I will try to find that today (curiousity and all.) I have to be real and say that I have Unfriended a few people and it's usually for one of two reasons: a. they are very narrow minded and post their political rhetoric over and over, ripping apart those who post opposing views and b. they are only on FB for the games and I was getting nearly spammed with all the game notifications. They never posted anything personal at all. I don't do FB for that purpose, sorry. In each case I did email the person and explain why I unfriended them and that it was not done with malice.