Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years Resolution - 2010 Style

While reading Elizabeth Berg's book last night I ran across a passage that has attached itself to my mind and will not leave.

And I am paraphrasing, "A Navajo Indian told his Grandson, 'Inside of me I have two wolves fighting. One is the bad wolf, lazy, inconsiderate, mean and without compassion. The other wolf is good, generous, willing and kind'. The grandson asks, 'Which wolf wins?' and the Grand Father replies, 'The one I feed.'"

This is my hope, that when ever I find myself in a situation I will try to ask myself, "which wolf am I feeding?"

Far too many times I am feeding the wrong wolf these days.

This must change.

I carry around a small notebook to write down the GiST observations and feelings I encounter on a daily basis. I find that I am searching out the good. Sometimes it is difficult and I have to reach really deep to overcome the depression I am immersed in. But, I am prevailing and on certain days I am happy. And because I am on the look out for such small and often overlooked events, I am climbing out of this dark stupid hole I have stepped in.

Happy New Year one and All.

5 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

I cannot imagine you depressed, Mary. Though I know the things we write here are not necessarily representative of our lives outside of blog land, you always seem so self-assured, so able to see the good in every circumstance.

I have been enjoying your GIST, though I have not been commenting much, I have been reading.

The best of everything for you in 2010, my friend.

:-]

Cynthia said...

Your GISTs have inspired me. Here's to a much better New Year.

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes we use depression as a catch-all label. There are reasons to be sad, angry or disappointed in yourself & they are not all fueled by depression.

Nelle said...

I have enjoyed reading your GISTs very much. You always keep it real and I so relate to all you write. Hoping 2010 is a much better year for both of us.

Lori said...

I do love that analogy. That's something that all of us can do well to keep in mind.

I step in that dark hole of depression once in a while myself, so I can understand to a certain extent. I hope you are out of the dark and into the sunshine now. Take care!