Monday, November 03, 2008

Out of the Mouth of Babes

I was just reading Cynthia's post on the election in Tennessee and it saddened me. Actually it made my face flush with shame at my fellow southerners.

We were visiting with my Sister-In-Law this past week-end and she related this story to us.

She has some property that she rents to a friend who was visiting her with his family, which included his wife and two daughters, ages 6 and 15.

The six year old asked S-I-L, "Who you voting for President?"

S-I-L replied, "Baby, I'm not sure but I think I am leaning towards Obama."

"You a "N word" lover?" she asked.

S-I-L looked at her father, who would not meet her eye. "Where did you hear that?"

"At school."

"Well, you should not call people that not matter what they say at school. It's a bad thing to say, Baby."

"You should vote for McCain." the six year old continued.

"And why is that?"

"Because when he dies then a lady would be President!"

S-I-L just looked at her Dad again and shook her head, "That is not a good reason to vote for someone."

"Better a woman than a 'N-word'", she resumed playing and lost interest in her political conversation with S-I-L.

And we wonder why the world is going to hell. Ignorance is taught, not inbred.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

That kind of talk is commonplace around here, from young & old. If people never break the cycle of ignorance it will just continue to go on.

Lisa :-] said...

I repeat...powerful post. Thank you, Mary.

Paul said...

I thought of you when Kentucky went red early. But then I think Indiana is staying blue.

I've had similar experiences with former in-laws from Virginia.

Nelle said...

What a terrible thing to teach a child. I did an entry yesterday about how as a child I was taught just the opposite. I like to think that the south is more enlightened than perhaps they are. If I had the ability to remove one word from everyone's vocabulary the n word would be it.

Chris said...

Wow, stunned. Really amazing this day and time, that this still goes on.