Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wistful Wednesday - 1959



I am really looking forward to Wednesday these days thanks to Far From Fifty and her idea of posting old photo's that tell a story.

For my birthday many years ago, I got a new baby brother! All 11 pouunds of him. He was the biggest baby born in the local Mayberry hospital at the time! He was a chunk as is evident in this photo!

Now, looking at the picture I realize it is Palm Sunday because of the small crosses on the T's shirt. T is the one mugging for the camera. Every picture we ever took, T is mugging and playing the camera.

I had two brothers, I truly wanted a sister and look what I got! Another brother. Mom told me he was my birthday present! Not only did I not get a sister, I now had to share my birthday! Well, almost, he was born the day before my birthday.

The picture is taken in my parents bedroom with the baby bassinet behind T's shoulder. Mom hired a lady, Mrs. Cassidy, to come help her out for a month or so, because three children, all at home at the time, and an infant...well, who couldn't use the help! Behind Mrs. C is Mom's dresser. It is loaded to the ceiling with her "stuff". Nothing ever changes, my Mom's house to this day is piled sky high with her stuff, stamps, rare books, newspapers about stamps, the Irish Echo, the Messanger, her begging mail (pls. send us money for the missions) ....well, the list is endless.

So the gang of Three is now the gang of Four and I now have Three Brothers.

8 comments:

~Rebecca Anne~ said...

I begged my Mom and Dad for a sister too....and all I got was one little brother~~
I love this idea, of showing and old photo and telling the story behind it. Your pick was great~

Beth said...

Great picture! And that is one big baby!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great old photo! I love that your one brother T is looking at the camera instead of the new bundle of joy! Great story too! Thanks for sharing! :)

Nelle said...

I am amazed at the wonderful condition of your old photos. Holy cow giving birth to my eight pound son was enough...cannot imagine eleven pounds! My Mom's house is also piled high everywhere!

sunflowerkat said...

I've been thinking about you and your old photos because I've been busy this week scanning old slides I rescued from my mom's house. I may just join into you Wednesday feature.

suzypwr said...

You have the best family pictures! I have just one brother, no sisters. I always wanted a sister too!

David said...

I'm glad I followed Rebecca Anne's link to your blog. It's very good. I have 3 brothers and 2 sons. I guess the good Lord didn't have plans for sisters or daughters in my family.
Keep smiling,
David
http://sunshinecolorado.blogspot.com/

Lori said...

Great picture. I see a cross on your older brother's shoulder, too. Did you not have to wear one? My father was over 11 pounds when he was born. As a matter of fact, all but two of his siblings (there were 12 children in his family) were more than 10 pounds, with two of them being 12 pounds! And my grandmother was a little bitty thing!