Monday, January 01, 2007

DESTINATION

“Let your mind start a journey thru a strange new world. Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before. Let your soul take you where you long to be...Close your eyes let your spirit start to soar, and you'll live as you've never lived before.” Erich Fromm quotes (German born American social Philosopher and Psychoanalyst, 1900-1980)


This weeks prompt for Sunday Scribblings is very interesting and as always, very thought provoking. Especially coming on the cusp (and as I write this on the heels) of a new year.

It has been expressed in many ways by a multitude of inspired writers that it is the journey and not the destination. I believe this with all my heart as I have the reality of this truism thrust towards me in all aspects of my life.

2006 was a journey towards increased self-awareness and the growing itch of dissatisfaction. I recently read WEST WITH THE NIGHT written by a most remarkable woman, Beryl Markham (probably the best book I have read in years). As I read I was struck full force as if she had written these words over 60 years ago for me alone to see.

"A life has to move or it stagnates. Even this life, I think. Every tomorrow ought not to resemble every yesterday."

So many of my days are a total repeat of the day before. I find myself feeling that I am squandering away the precious time I have been given for my journey.

I think that just giving a name to my discontent is enough to kick start the journey again.

After all....we all know where the journey ends. The final destination.

11 comments:

Ian said...

Hello, Alphawoman!

I've enjoyed reading your blog the past couple of months, even if I don't comment very often (the past couple months have been insanely busy for me!). Anyway, to make it up to you, I've decided to list you as one of EDog Recommends links for January. I hope it boosts your traffic!

Ian

Cynthia said...

Great entry. That dissatisfaction itch simply has to be scratched. That's all there is to it. Life is just too damn precious to coast through it.

Robbie said...

Inactive? Repeatative? You? "Peesha!" I say. But, I love your reflection. I think I might start trying these Sunday Scribblings - next Sunday. I want to get back to the writing I used to do.

Happy New Year!!!!

P.S. I loved your rant about the Netflix monopolist! LOL!

Crafty Green Poet said...

There is so much beauty on the journey of life and no day need be the same. Dissatisfaction can be a great spur to action and change....

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Happy New Year, very reflective and intersting thoughts you share!

Lisa :-] said...

I cannot imagine you staying in one place long enough to stagnate. I do, however, share your zeal for not squandering our alotted time... But I'm not so sure I know where the journey ends. Maybe that's only the beginning!

meno said...

Since we all arrive at the same destination in life, it really is only the journey.

I read that book many years ago, i loved it too.

Lexa Roséan said...

ah, alpha woman, it's that sand scratching inside the oyster that forms the perfect pearl.
happy new year!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Oh, that final destination. Must we speak of it?

Rethabile said...

Some say the destination is the starting, the end is the beginning. Some scribblers quoted TS Eliot as having written something to that effect.

I think we need to find a way of doing just that, and you're right, squandering the journey is hardly the right way.

Have a happy 2007...

TJ said...

Hello and nice to meet ya!!
Thanks so much for dropping by my blog!!
I've always loved the name Beryl and also Opal...love those names!!
I need to catch up on my reading!!
:-D