Monday, August 01, 2005

NIGHT LIGHT


You can't go home again.

This past Saturday afternoon I drove home to Kentucky. I left Ft. Wayne at 4pm and Sunday afternoon around the same time I was headed back.

Twenty-four hours was all I needed. Twenty-four hours was all it took. I feel so much better. The cloud has lifted, at least for the time being.

As I was nearing the bridge on I-65 that spans the Ohio River, I could see Louisville begin to spread before me. My heart began to swell, my chest became tight and yes I began to cry. I was home.

I wandered up and down Bardstown Rd. in the Highland area trying to capture "night pictures" with my camera while waiting on my daughter. They are a disaster! The manual suggested a tripod! HA! Now that I know it can be done, I just need to know how to do it. The Highland area is so alive with people, entertainment, pubs, book stores, skate shops, restaurants, esoteric shops every where you look. Thriving and colorful, bursting with excitement! I just wish I could have captured its essence with the camera. Next time, when I am more practiced.

After visiting with family for all to brief a time, I was headed home. The route this time was through Cincinnati!

Hello Trader Joe's!!!! I spent a small fortune in there. Do I really need Trader Joe's Toaster Sesame Oil? Or Thai Red Curry? Trader Giotto's Artichoke Antipasto? Yes..yes...YES!!! It is so much fun to shop there.

This is how I do it. Cafe Twists Chocolate Chip $2.49, "That's 3/4 of a pack of cigarettes that I do not smoke any longer" as I toss it into the cart.

James Keller & Son Dundee Orange Marmalade $3.49, "That's a pack of cigarettes I don't smoke anymore." Toss it into the cart with the honey peanut butter (2/3 pack) and the chocolate covered cherries (two packs).

It is said, "You can't go home again." I say, "The hell you can't".

No comments: