Saturday, December 18, 2010

#10 Reverb - December 18th

Prompt: Try. What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn't go for it?


Next year I want to make another go at the Stella & Dot business. I claim to be the Queen of Excuses and sometimes when I read what other women accomplish while taking on a Home Based Business (full time jobs, graduate school etc. etc. etc.) I feel like a wimp.

One Sunday I had made arrangements to participate in a small Holiday Show. I am never scheduled to go into the Bucket on a Sunday afternoon. I am the closer. It is always 5 or 6 pm until close. I was astonished when the schedule was posted and I had the 3pm - 8pm shift. I fretted for days and on Sunday I called the Bucket and told them I was going to be late.

The show overlapped an hour and I need at least 1/2 hour to close up and change clothes. I was rushing around packing up the Cake Pops I had made as a refreshment, arranging all the jewelry in such a manner that I could unpack and have my display ready to go in minutes. I had my black table cloth and six foot collapsible utility table I had shelled out $45 for at Lowes laying at the door at ready for packing to the car.

Suddenly it hit me like a ton of bricks. There was just no way I could do this. I did not want to do this.

So I called in the 11th hour and cancelled and headed into the Bucket.

I would like to have more control over my life next year and the ability to go to trade shows and have in home truck shows. I want to work on strong arming (lol) people into having shows. I want to figure out how to make them want to have trunk shows.

Hey everybody! Check this out!! Stella and Dot Opportunity!

2 comments:

Nelle said...

Mary,
Some of the women I work with blow me away when I hear all that they do. Then I have to stop and remind myself that I am over fifty now and working full time AND running a home and having a family life might be all I am up to. Sometimes we can just expect too much from ourselves. I am not going to pressure myself anymore because the more stress I feel, the less productive I am!

Martha said...

Hi Mary,
Long time no see! Thanks for stopping by and thank you for your comment regarding my mother's passing.
I love what you've been doing here with the prompts. I'm heading over to check out the Stella and Dot opportunity now :-)