Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 23

Prompt: New name. Let's meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?

I have known many people who have changed their names somewhere along the line.

Kitty became Kathy.

Martha became Elaine.

Cookie became Linda.

Howie became Howard.

John became Jack.

Brenda became Kay.

Leroy became Clifford. He was Clifford to begin with, became Leroy and when returned to the real world became Clifford again.

I have written about being named Mary. A Rose by any other name. When attending catholic High School in the 1960's if one yelled out "MARY!!!" in the hall way half the girls would turn their heads! Great Balls of fire there certainly were a bunch of us!

I have been "Mary Mary" at one time and most recently May May to my grand kids. I like May May and sometimes when I enter the house I announce myself like this

"MAY MAY'S HOME!!!"

I often wondered why I didn't have some fabulous Irish name like Fiona or Caitlin but my Mother wanted me to grow up to become a nun so she saddled me with the name in the hopes that I would take the hint. Never did.

I'm just a Rose.

1 comment:

Nelle said...

Even though there are other Nelles from Ireland it is not a true Irish name so Rob often calls me Maggie which he feels better suits me. I took Margaret as my confirmation no so it seems fitting.