Friday, December 03, 2010

Going to Play Catch Up

Found this thru Schmutzie, who introduced me to the incredible Grace in Small Things, which she created, so why shouldn't she introduce me to another site to keep me occupied for the next month. This once called #Reverb10. I think I may be a couple of days late in beginning, so I'll just catch up somehow.

December 3 – Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)


I am going to go with the very first thing that came into my minds eye...

Sometime earlier in the year I reconnected through FaceBook with about 40 guys I went to college with in the 1970's. I was a Little Sister to this group of fraternity men. Boys. They were boys back then.

First I connected with one of the other Little Sisters and from there it just snowballed. First one brother, then another then another until we had a whole group of us corresponding on FB.

Who had the bright idea to get together. Who had the brilliant idea to gather us all together one July afternoon when it was 100 degrees outside? Who had the clever idea to meet at P's house, who had a swimming pool and an understanding wife?

Leading up to the party I found I could not sleep and what little sleep I got, it was filled with memories that were almost too painful, too wonderful, too long ago to contain. Each day leading up to the party brought some new fantastic astonishments. One day it was a telephone call and the realization that this was really happening. First one old flame was coming, then another, then a third! I was practically giddy in those final hours.

I drove the 90 miles to the party alone. My husband had to work. My little friend C. who was suppose to keep an eye on me, watering down my drinks, bailed on me. I drove alone with the expectation and the giddiness and the joy swelling and building up in my heart as each mile brought me closer to 35 years ago.

I carried in a bottle of grain alcohol, a 12 pack of beer, a 1.7 bottle of coconut run. Do you think I was ready to party?

Funny what 35 years does to a person. How it plays with the face, expands the belly, changes the shape, how it messes with the hair lines and the hair color, but it does very little to the eyes and to the smile.

I recognized every one of them. I hugged everyone of them and I even cried.

For one afternoon we all stepped back. I did not see the faces of the middle age grandpa's. What I saw was the gang of young men I feel in love with.

Oh baby, did we party.

Best time ever.

2 comments:

Tressa bailey said...

Sounds wonderful....so glad you got to have that time! I love facebook!

Nelle said...

OH Mary I have such envy at this moment. The guy I dated for three years in high school passed away ten years ago. Even though we were not in touch, I hate knowing he is no longer out there. I had one childhood friend who has bailed on me since my illnesses but one who kind of came back into my life. There is noone like someone who has known you and seen you become the person that you are understands why. I fianlly found your snail mail address! Woohoo. Your entries always brighten my days. :)