Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Making A Mess of Things???

#Reverb10

Prompt: Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

Putting my thinking cap on and off all day long I finally remembered something that I had "made" that was not food related! Even though I was dying to tell you all the adventure of making those Cake Pops.

Finally it came to me upon waking this morning, that I had attempted to make some salt scrubs earlier in the year when I had the bright idea that I would sell them at the farmers market.

Have you ever tried to make anything with oils? It's frigging hard if you don't know what you're doing! Everything I read, all the recipes I looked up (including good old Martha) make it sound so easy.

I gathered all the ingredients from far and wide. Including sea salt from the real source, the Dead Sea! I located (over priced) essence oils in a health food store in town. On one of my trips to Louisville I found a reasonably priced bottle of Almond oil. Coconut oil was found at the Mall at the vitamin store! Shea butter came from Africa. Epsom salts - Walmart. Canning jars from Big Lots.

I was ready. I laid it all out and began to mix, stir, experiment, drip drip in the drops of essence oil, heat the coconut oil in the microwave to make it runny and workable, ditto with the Shea butter. The bullet (Christmas gift last year) came in mighty handy for pulverizing that salt!

I decorated the jars with ribbons and decorative remnants of cloth in soothing shades.

The oil separated.

Ditch the almond oil, work with the coconut oil.

Everything smelled like coconuts. Even the pretty pink salt with peppermint essence oil.

That was a disaster! But I certainly have some smooth skin!

And a slippery bathtub.




No comments: